Saturday 11 April 2009

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest


Director: Milos Forman

I have to admit I only watched this film very recently, last week in fact. Terrible I know, especially considering that it’s one of those must watch films, but I’m glad that I savoured the moment to a time where I can fully appreciate it. Best piece of entertainment advice I can give you this week, watch this film with a friend who could do with a little boost.

Without delving too much into the plot (the times I’ve enjoyed watching a movie the most is when I’ve had no preconceived conceptions on expectations), the story follows Randle Patrick McMurphy (Jack Nicholson), who in an attempt to get out of spending more time in prison, pleads insanity for his crime and is therefore sentenced to time in a mental institution.

Whilst my account of the film may be different to yours, i.e. not crying! I really engaged with Nicholson’s character as he reinforced the notion that not every personality and situation can be painted in black and white. McMurphy a convict is not a bad man and the occurrences behind the white doors doesn’t stop the patients laughing. At risk of sounding cliché, McMurphy effectively conveyed the idea that happiness is not something you stumble upon but something you create. He thought he was going to find life a lot easier in the corridors of a psychiatric hospital than in prison, but upon discovering that an unemotional wall existed between him and others he made every attempt to dismantle those obstacles with laughter and a little improvisation.

The main premise that I took away from the film was just that, happiness is something that you create and it’s not worth moaning about a situation you find yourself in if you’re not willing to do something about it.

I’m interested to know what strings of your heart did this film tug at?

1 comment: